Performance reviews are an essential part of the employee-employer relationship. They provide a way for employers to give feedback to their employees and for employees to know how they are doing.
Performance reviews can be challenging, especially when it comes to giving feedback.
The following six steps can help make performance reviews fairer:
1. Be specific about what the employee did well and what they could improve on.
2. Give examples of things that the employee has done well in the past or that you have noticed them doing well recently.
3. Provide a timeline so that the employee knows what is expected of them.
4. Offer praise where it is due and don’t have a one-size-fits-all mentality regarding feedback.
5. Allow employees to provide input on their own performance reviews so they can feel like they have some control over their future at work.
6. Hold regular one-on-one meetings.