Many designers have mixed feelings regarding the use of sliders and slider controls. Some love them, while others despise them.
What are sliders?
A slider is a term that refers to a slideshow on a website. An example of a slider can be a revolving carousel that displays products or photos.
Why the Love?
- They save space
- Sliders consolidate images
- Users stay engaged
- Users control content
Why the Hate?
- Sliders slow down the page, impacting SEO
- Some sliders do not transition well to mobile
- Visitors often view sliders the same way they do ads and skip over them
- Sliders could give the impression that the company was unsure what to highlight and instead chose to show all options at the same time.
When to use sliders?
- For product tours
- To make new content stand out
- To present photo galleries
- To display portfolios online
Find out when they are most useful in Web Design in the article below.